There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Meadow Harvest Seed Cookies - Test 1

http://www.lasupersuperette.com/2014/11/sables-graines/

1 - They turned into only slightly sweet cookies. Good.
2 - Made them as a gift and asked for ways to improve. Nobody answered because they were too busy chewing!
3 - I could give a range of sweetness for this cookie. It could be a bit sweeter, but it has a nice flavour. Ah, flavour, yes, about that, the cookies have to be well browned and crispy otherwise they hold a bit of a raw flour taste. The dough is very wet and sticky, so I'm going to try removing the milk.
4 - I returned to the original recipe because I have been unhappy with the results. They do not compare to the first tries. And I said the recipe makes 40 cookies, nothing like it! More like a dozen. Just under a cm is a pretty thick cookie. It took more than 15 minutes to bake so that the bottoms were browned and the better cookies has a browned bottom. But now I think there is too much salt. 

Makes about 40 12

1¼ cup (160g) of flour
½ cup (37g) rolled oats
½ (85g) to ¾ (150g) cup brown sugar
4 Tbsps sunflower seeds
2 Tbsps poppy seeds
2 Tbsps flax seeds, pumpkin seeds or sesame seeds
½ cup cold butter, diced small
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp milk
2 pinches of ½ tsp salt
  1. In a large bowl mix together the flour, oats, sugar, salt, seeds and butter. Pinch the butter into the dry ingredients with your fingers to create a crumb texture (it's like playing with sand) with bits that are pea-sized and no smaller. The goal is not to completely combine the butter into the flour, but to break it up into the flour so that there are tiny globule of butter and when the dough is baking, they will create pockets as they melt, giving you a lovely flaky biscuit.
  2. Add the egg and milk and combine, then form into a ball. Wrap and put in the refrigerator to rest for one hour and up to 72 hours.
  3. Preheat the oven to 350F.
  4. On a floured surface (preferably a pastry cloth), roll out the dough.
  5. It's sometimes useful to roll out the dough and fold it and roll it again. Make sure to do this when the dough is still quite cold.
  6. Ultimately, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch and cut into rounds. Place them on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
  7. Bake 10-15 minutes or until nicely golden.

 (pour 40 à 50 biscuits)
– 160 g de farine
– 30 g de flocons d’avoine
– 125 g de sucre roux
– 125 g de beurre
– 1 œuf
– 4 c. à s. de graines de tournesol
– 2 c. à s. de graines de pavot
– 2 c. à s. de sésame
– 1 c. à s. de lait
– 2 pincées de sel

Recette
Mélangez dans un saladier la farine, les flocons d’avoine, le sucre, le sel, les graines de tournesol, de pavot, le sésame et le beurre coupé en petits morceaux. Travaillez la pâte du bout des doigts et ajoutez l’œuf puis le lait. Formez une belle boule de pâte.

Allumez le four à 180°C. Étalez la pâte sur un plan de travail fariné, sur une épaisseur d’un petit centimètre. Découpez des biscuits avec un emporte-pièce rond. Déposez-les sur une plaque recouverte de papier sulfurisé. Faites cuire au four pendant 15 à 20 minutes, les Champêtres doivent être joliment dorés !

No comments:

Post a Comment