There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, April 16, 2018

Untested - Duck breasts with damson gin

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/oct/16/nigel-slater-damson-sloe-recipes

I'd like to try this recipe but with other, more accessible meats, like pork or chicken. Because of the duck's large quantity of fat and thin layer of flesh, this is a pan sauce, whilst pork (the way I prefer to prepare it) would be a roast. I wonder what straight-on sherry recipes are out there where I could substitute the damson gin for?

Serves 4

For the duck:
duck breasts 4, skin on
brown sugar 2 tbsp
sherry vinegar 4 tbsp
damson or sloe gin 4 tbsp
juniper berries 8

For the potatoes:
potatoes 3 medium sized
duck fat 3 tbsp
garlic a single clove


  1. Make three or four deep slashes on the skin side of each breast, cutting down into the flesh, but not through it. Put them snugly into a china or steel dish.
  2. Put the brown sugar into a mixing bowl with the sherry vinegar, sloe or damson gin, and a grinding of salt and black pepper. Mash the juniper berries to coarse, fragrant crumbs and add them to the sugar and vinegar mixture. Pour over the duck breasts, massaging the liquid into the skin and both sides of the duck flesh. Cover with clingfilm and marinate for at least four hours in the fridge. Overnight will not harm.
  3. Make the potatoes: Set the oven at 200C/gas mark 6. Peel the potatoes and slice them thinly. Melt the duck fat in a heavy, shallow pan, turn off the heat and add the potato slices in one layer, neatly overlapping and seasoning with salt, black pepper, thyme leaves and a little chopped garlic as you go. Bake for 35-40 minutes till golden brown. Get a griddle pan hot. Pat the duck breasts dry with kitchen paper, then place them skin side down on the hot griddle. Keeping the heat moderately high, leave them to colour on the skin side, brushing them regularly with the marinade left in the dish, then turn them over and leave to cook for a further 4 or 5 minutes until they are golden on the outside and pink in the middle. A good way to test them for doneness is to pierce the centre with a skewer. For a rose pink centre, you want the beads of juice that seep out to be red, not golden. Let the breasts rest for 4 or 5 minutes before you serve them.
  4. Slice each duck breast diagonally into thick slices and serve with the roast potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment