There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Fresh Ham with Honey and Cloves - Untested


0 - I have this primarily for the brining instructions, but the hams I've had are smaller than 12lbs. I made an amazing ham from one of our pigs, but I don't think our butcher salted it enough or at all before smoking it. I should adjust the recipe depending on the size of the ham. It would be fun to actually try the recipe too.

Serves
serves 8-10

Brine (adjust for size of ham):
1 (12-lb.) fresh ham, cut from the shank end
4 cups kosher salt, plus more to taste
4 cups brown sugar
4 bay leaves
1⁄2 cup black peppercorns, crushed
1⁄2 tsp. ground white peppercorns
Baking
 Cloves, for studding ham
 1⁄8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
 1⁄8 tsp. ground cinnamon
 1⁄8 tsp. ground ginger
 1 tbsp. curry powder
 1⁄2 cup honey
 1⁄4 cup red wine
 1⁄4 cup port
 3 tbsp. brandy

This feastworthy dish, based on a recipe in Pork & Sons by Stéphane Reynaud (Phaidon, 2007), calls for fresh ham, a succulent cut from the pig's hind leg that yields crisp skin and juicy meat. If cooking for a larger crowd, roast a whole fresh ham instead of just the shank end, and double the ingredient quantities for the glaze.
  1. Using a serrated knife, score the ham by making 1⁄4"-deep, parallel slices about 1" apart all over the meat's surface; turn ham 90° and make perpendicular slices to create a crisscross pattern. Bring salt, sugar, bay leaves, black peppercorns, and 8 cups water to a boil in a 4-qt. saucepan. Transfer brine to a 5-gallon stockpot, add 1 1⁄2 gallons cold water, and submerge ham in brine. Refrigerate ham for 12 hours.
  2. Heat oven to 350° and set an oven rack in the bottom third of oven. Drain ham, discarding brine, and pat dry with paper towels. Using a paring knife, make 1⁄4"-deep incisions all over surface of ham and stuff a clove into each incision. Season ham lightly with salt, transfer to a rack set inside a large roasting pan, and let ham come to room temperature, about 1 hour.
  3. Meanwhile, in a 2-qt. saucepan, combine remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, and cook until syrupy, about 5 minutes; set glaze aside. Pour 2 cups water into the roasting pan and roast ham for 1 hour. Remove ham from oven and brush with the glaze. Continue to cook, brushing with the glaze every 30 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the deepest part of the ham without touching the bone reads 150°, about 3 hours total. Let ham rest for at least 20 minutes before carving.

No comments:

Post a Comment