There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Untested - Steak au Poivre

4 beef top loin or strip steaks (cut 1 inch thick)
1 tbsp. cracked peppercorns
2 tbsp. butter
1/4 c. chopped shallots
1 lb mushrooms?
2 tbsp. butter
3/4 c. beef broth
1/4 c. brandy or cognac
  1. Sprinkle 1/2 of the peppercorns evenly over each steak, rub over meat and press into meat with the palm of your hand. Turn steaks over and sprinkle remaining peppercorns evenly over each steak and repeat the procedure.
  2. In a 10 1/2 inch or 12 inch skillet melt 2 tablespoons of butter. When the butter is hot, cook steaks about 2 to 6 minutes on each side, depending on desired doneness (LOOK UP TEMPERATURES).
  3. Transfer steaks to an ovenproof dish and keep warm in a 200F oven.
  4. In the same skillet cook shallots in remaining 2 tablespoons of butter until just tender, then add mushrooms, cooking until they 'sweat'.
  5. Increase the heat and add the broth to the skillet and boil rapidly for 1 minutes, stirring constantly to scrape up flavorful browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
  6. Reintroduce the steaks to the pan and turn off the heat.
  7. Carefully heat the brandy or cognac in a ladle over direct heat. Ignite the brandy and carefully pour over the steaks.
  8. Serve when the flame goes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment