There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Untested - Pudding alsacien

This is converted from a French recipe. When I'm uncertain about the quantities, I keep in parenthesis the original measurement.

3 apples, cored, peeled and chopped small (WHAT KIND ARE BEST? APPLES GOOD FOR SAUCE OR BAKING?)
2 eggs
2 cups of milk
(1 1/2 cup or 10 oz) of day old or stale brioche or other soft bread
3/4 c (200 g) sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon (seems like a lot)
6 oz of 70% chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup (50g) of butter
1/2 cup (100 g) raisins
1/4 cup Panko
  1. Preheat the oven to 425F.
  2. Lightly beat the eggs together in a small bowl and set aside to come up to room temperature.
  3. In a large mixing bowl break the stale bread into small pieces. Meanwhile, warm the milk. When both are ready, slowly drizzle the milk into the bread bowl, mixing to allow the bread to evenly imbibe the milk.
  4. Mix together the sugar and cinnamon, then add to the milk and bread mixture, followed by the eggs. Mix well and set aside.
  5. In a saucepan melt the butter and sauté the apples and raisins for about 10 minutes, or until the apples start to soften.
  6. Add the apple and raisin mixture, and 3/4 of the chocolate (reserving the rest for later), to the bread mixture.
  7. Butter a shallow dish, such as a gratin dish, and spread half of the Panko in the bottom. Pour the pudding mix over this, then sprinkle the remaining Panko on top.
  8. Bake for 1 hour. When you remove it from the oven, sprinkle the remaining 1/4 of the chocolate on top, then allow it to rest on a cooling rack until it reaches room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment