There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, December 29, 2017

Blancmange - FAIL

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/38210/blanc-mange-english-style/
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/blancmange-made-with-arrowroot-473400#activity-feed

1 - There is a reason the British are not known for their cuisine. Well, they are, but... This is not a recipe I would like to reproduce. Many versions ask for gelatine, I opted for arrowroot. That may have been a mistake. But there are much better custard recipes, I think I can leave this one.

3 cups milk, divided
2 cinnamon sticks
1 lemon peel, cut into strips
1/4 cup arrowroot flour
1/2 cup white sugar 
1 pinch ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 ounces shaved semisweet chocolate, for garnish

  1. In a saucepan, combine the milk lemon peel and cinnamon stick. Bring to a simmer
  2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the arrowroot and sugar. Scoop out a bit of the milk from the saucepan and whisk it into these dry ingredients. 
  3. In a thin steady stream, vigorously whisk in the arrowroot mixture and increase the heat to bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Allow it to boil for about 20 seconds while continuing to whisk, then remove it from the heat. 
  4. Remove the lemon peel and cinnamon sticks. Stir in the pinch of cinnamon and the vanilla.
  5. Pour into a dish or mold, and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or overnight. Garnish with shaved chocolate just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment