There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Testing - Damson and Blackberry Pie

https://www.britishlarder.co.uk/damson-and-bramble-plate-pie/

1 - This makes for quite a tart yet delicious filling. I used frozen blackberries and frozen damsons - honestly, in this area the blackberries are long done by the time the little damsons come into season, so I don't know how they could be made seasonally. But with freezing, they make for a lovely fruit dessert in the winter or in the spring before anything fresh is ready to eat. It is tart enough that it should be matched with an ice cream or with a crème anglaise.
1.1 - I made a crème anglaise and I think the problem isn't the accompaniment but there isn't enough sugar. So there! I'm increasing the sugar from 2 Tbsps to 1/3 cup.

2 recipes sweet pie crust
1/2 cup blackberries
1 cup damsons, quartered and stones removed
2 Tbsps ground almonds
1/3 cup brown sugar
a pinch of salt
a pinch of ground ginger (or nutmeg, or cinnamon)
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten with 1/2 teaspoon sugar

  1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
  2. Mix together the blackberries, damsons, ground almonds, sugar, salt and ground spice in a mixing bowl. 
  3. Line a pie plate with pie dough. 
  4. Pile the fruit mixture on to the lined plate, brush the edge of the pastry with water, then gently lay the second round of pastry over the top and press the edges together, crimping the edges to seal. Poke some vent holes in the top and brush the top of the pie with the sweet egg yolk mixture.
  5. Bake the pie in the oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and bake for another 20–25 minutes or until the pastry is cooked and golden brown. It's recommended to place a cookie sheet underneath to catch drips.
  6. Remove from the oven and let the pie rest for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with hot custard, clotted cream, crème fraîche or vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment