There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, December 11, 2017

Testing - Roti de porc à la bière avec chou

http://vindepissenlit.blogspot.ca/2013/09/roti-de-porc-du-dimanche-la-biere.html

1 - This did not bake in the proscribed 1.25 hours, more like 2 hours! I'm checking other mustard-crusted pork roast recipes to check on their timing. You'd think that, by now, I would have figured out to do this! ... Checked and, nope, 350F is average - they range from 325 to 375. What was wrong was the internal temperature - I had it at 175F, but it should be 160F. The timing is still off, but by not as much as I thought.

1 cabbage, shredded
3lb pork roast (leg, belly or boneless loin)
1/3 cup grainy mustard
2 garlic cloves
2 large potatoes, quartered
2 cups beer (what kind? original recipe used Heffe Weizen, so, light?)
Salt and Pepper
(optional) culinary flowers (lavender, chives, sage, garlic, citrus, lilac, thyme, oregano, etc)
  1. Several hours before cooking the roast, make slits all over it with the tip of a sharp knife and slide a sliver of garlic into each slit as you go - make sure to even distribute the garlic.
  2. Preheat oven to 350F.
  3. Cook the shredded cabbage in boiling water or steam for 10 minutes (raw cabbage will tend to burn in an roasting oven).
  4. Slather the roast with the mustard.
  5. Place the potatoes in a roasting pan, followed by the cabbage, to make a bed for the roast.
  6. Pour in the beer before laying the meat on top of the veg.
  7. Sprinkle with a generous pinch (or two) of salt and a dusting of pepper.
  8. If using, sprinkle the roast with the flowers.
  9. ??Three to four times, gently shift the veg to allow for even cooking and baste the roast.?? (this seems like overkill. With that amount of time, the veg should cook no problem. Maybe the cabbage dries out?)
  10. Roast for 1 1/4 hours for bonless loin, 1 hour for leg or until the internal temperature reads 160F. Remove from the oven and let it settle for about 10 minutes before carving.

No comments:

Post a Comment