There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, December 29, 2017

Test 2 - Tarte de purée de châtaigne (Chestnut Cloud Pie)

http://www.europeancuisines.com/French-Chestnut-Puree-Tart-Tarte-de-puree-des-chataignes

1 - Home run right out of the ballpark, first try! I grated 70% dark chocolate on top and served with whipped cream. Brought it to a dinner party with discerning hosts, and it was very much appreciated. Pairs with with perry.
2 - Although I only had 12oz of chestnut paste, I decided to make this cake, anyway, and it worked out really nicely, again. I only had some chocolate chunks which I put on top, and that worked nicely, as well. Ben recommends as an option a little something on the side, like whipped cream. I wonder if some seasonal fruit would also be nice, likely berries.

1 lb sweetened chestnut paste
3 ounces butter
5 eggs, separated (room temperature)
1 Tbsp sugar
Baking chocolate to garnish (to taste)
Optional - whipped cream and/or fresh berries as a garnish
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F. 
  2. Liberally butter a 9" deep dish pie pan (try a springform pan).
  3. Melt the butter and set aside to cool.
  4. Using a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks and the chestnut paste together until the mixture lightens; the goal is to beat in as much air as possible. 
  5. Continuing to beat the mixture, drizzle in the melted butter. Set aside.
  6. In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites to the soft-peak stage; add a Tbsp sugar and continue to beat to the stiff-peak stage. 
  7. Mix in a quarter of the egg whites into the chestnut mixture, gentle folding together to conserve as many tiny air bubbles as possible in the egg whites. Add the chestnut mixture to the egg whites, again gently folding them together (it's ok if there are little bits of white, they'll disappear with the baking).
  8. Pour the batter into the tin and bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes. 
  9. NOTE: Keep an eye on the top. If it starts to get too brown, open the oven door to let some of the heat out and lower the temperature. The tart will puff up considerably while baking. Once removed from the oven, it will start to collapse - this is normal.
  10. While still hot, grate fine shavings of bitter baking chocolate over the top of the tart, to taste.
  11. Allow the tart to cool completely before serving.
  12. Excellent with whipped cream (melted chocolate drizzled over it, thick cream, or pouring custard).

No comments:

Post a Comment