There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Testing - Damson Plum Cheese

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/sep/07/damson-recipes-hugh-fearnley-whittingstall
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/allotment/2011/oct/05/allotments-gardeningadvice1
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spiced-damson-cheese
http://bunscuffle.co.uk/2013/10/damson-cheese-recipe

1 - I did not follow any of these recipes and I'm not sure what I did. Ta-da! However, what I did do was to take the plums I'd made gin with, cooked them, let them cool, then squeezed the pits out of them. I then ran them through the food mill which I discovered is for vegetables and can't do fruit stones. I then cooked the mash at the lowest setting on the stove top, added sugar, cooked it a bit longer until it got so thick that when I ran a spatula along the bottom it took a few for it to close up again. The I boiled some glass jars and when they were still warm slathered a tiny bit of butter inside before putting in the damson mush.
2 - Another shamefully shamefully executed testing. I just used what plums I had left over from making the damson gin. I didn't have my fruit mill handy since I was chicken-sitting at 'Chadica' Farm so I hand-removed the pits and used a food processor to mash everything before forcing through a colander. I taste-tested to get the amount of sweetness I thought it needed and then reduced it for about an hour (I added water while processing because it was too dry to properly go through the machine) and then boiled it, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes (guessing, again). I did follow the instruction to look for the clear line that stays. But I feel like that is insufficient. I want it to have a soft jujube texture and need to figure out how to do that.
3 - Ok, I finally figured it out. When the fruit starts to boil, clip on a candy thermometer, reduce it to a rapid simmer and continue to cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the thermometer reads 220F/105C. This can take upwards of 30 minutes, less if you add more sugar, longer if you have less sugar.

  1. Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water. 
  2. Leave 1/2 inch space at the top of the jar when filling it. 
  3. Screw lids on until not quite as tight as possible - screw on tight, then loosed by 1/4 turn.
  4. Put each jar on a rack in a large pot of boiling water. Jars must not sit directly on the kettle bottom. 
  5. Once the pot returns to the boil, begin processing (boiling) time of 10 minutes if using half-pint or smaller jars (235 ml or smaller), 20 minutes for larger. 
  6. After the time has elapsed, remove jars to a cloth-covered counter or baking sheet, away from any drafts. Do not move for at least 12 hours — 24 hours is best — so that the jars fully seal and the jam sets.

No comments:

Post a Comment