There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, December 15, 2017

Testing - Shredded pork with beans

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/slow-cooker-pork-shoulder-with-white-beans/67dd837a-fadb-4918-9864-a65fb7bc553f

1 - This was good and a bit finicky. I tasted the pork before doing the sauce, and it seemed very good. I suspect that, with the addition of the cheese in the beans, that may be enough variation to ignore the honey sauce. If not, would maple work just as well? How about molasses?
1.1 - I have discovered another recipe for pork and beans where it can all be put in the slow cooker on the same day without soaking the beans overnight. I've included these instructions underlined below.

3 lb boneless pork shoulder roast, trimmed of visible fat
2 Tbsps lard or mild oil
2 tsps salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 lb dry white beans
1 onion, quartered
Bouquet garni of 3 sprigs of parsley, 1 sprig of thyme, 1 small bay leaf
6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
2 sprigs fresh sage, minced
1/2 cups mild meat broth (chicken or pork)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (2 oz)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  1. The night before, bring the beans to boil in plenty of water. Turn off the burner, cover, and let them soak. Next day, drain, rinse, replace the water and add the onion and bouquet garni of parsley, thyme and bay leaf and  bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer the beans until tender. When the beans are soft, remove from the heat.
  2. Boil the beans for 10 minutes. Let sit in the hot water for an hour.
  3. Rub the pork with the oil, then sprinkle over the salt and pepper. Brown each side of the roast in a hot skillet, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to the slow cooker.
  4. Pour the beans in around the pork including the onion and bouquet garni, then add the garlic and minced sage. Pour in the broth, cover and cook on Low heat setting for 7 to 8 hours; the meat should have an internal temperature of 160F.
  5. Turn off slow cooker. Carefully transfer pork to large cutting board. When cool enough to handle, shred pork with 2 forks; discard fat and cartilage.
  6. Meanwhile, drain bean mixture in colander set over large bowl; reserve cooking liquid. Return beans to slow cooker. Mash beans with wooden spoon or potato masher, adding 3 to 6 tablespoons reserved liquid to desired consistency. Stir in cheese and 2 tablespoons of the parsley leaves.
  7. In a large bowl, beat the honey and vinegar with a whisk. Stir in the pork. Serve the bean mixture topped by the shredded pork and sprinkled with some of the remaining parsley leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment