There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, December 9, 2017

Untested - Porc braised with red cabbage and apple

http://gourmand.viepratique.fr/dossiers/legumes/tendances-cuisine-2015-les-choux/roti-de-porc-au-chou-rouge-et-aux-pommes-23624.html

0 - I made this but tried to modify it which didn't work - I tried making it in the slow cooker with only 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, no broth and no apples. It was icky. I will try this one again but stove-top braised and with the recommended ingredients.

2 Tbsps of butter
2 Tbsps of oil (ex grapeseed)
1 bone-in porc roast (leg or shoulder) of about 3 - 4 lbs
Salt and pepper
2 onions (preferably red, just for the colour), fine slice
2lbs red cabbage, shredded
1 bouquet garni (fresh parsley stalks, thyme sprigs, bay leaves and whole peppercorns)
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
3 Tbsps fine sugar
2 cups meat broth
6-8 sweet apples

  1. Heat the oil and butter together in a large deep pot. When quite hot, brown the roast on all sides to add lovely browning flavour. Sprinkle the roast with a good pinch of salt and pepper and set aside.
  2. In the remaining oil, cook the onion until it begins to soften.
  3. Return the roast to the pot and add the cabbage, bouquet garni, sugar, vinegar and meat broth.
  4. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and braise for 45 minutes.
  5. Meanwhile, peel and core the apples and cut them in quarters.
  6. When the 45 minutes has elapsed, add the apples to the roast, adding more water if too much of the broth has evaporated.
  7. Cook, covered, for another 10 minutes or until the internal temperature of the roast is 160F.

No comments:

Post a Comment