There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Testing - Pork pot roast with French lentils

http://misstamkitchenette.com/roti-lentilleverte/#.WjcJlUpKuUk

1 - Good! My timing was off, and the roast sat in its braising liquid for too long and overcooked, but apart from that, all went well. I altered things as I went along as I saw fit, which I've indicated, below.

Part 1 - the ROAST

2-3 lb pork roast (any)
Salt and pepper
1-2 Tbsps cooking fat (veg oil, lard, bacon fat, etc)
1 carrot, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
Bay leaf
Sprig of thyme
2/3 cup broth (chicken or pork or vegetable or water)
  1. Get the cooking pot for the LENTILS ready so that you start to cook the veg for that part of the meal at the same time.
  2. Completely salt and pepper the roast.
  3. Pick a pot that just fits your roast. It should also have a lid that fits tightly. 
  4. Heat the fat in the pot. When the fat starts to shimmer, brown all the sides of the roast, and then set it aside. This will take about 20-30 minutes.
  5. Reduce the temperature for the pot, add a little more fat if needed, and cook the carrot, onion and celery with a pinch of salt. One they've started to sweat, add the garlic, bay and thyme, sauté for another minute, then add the liquid, scraping up the bottom to loosen the tasty browned bits, and bring to a boil.
  6. Put the roast back into the pot with another sprinkle of pepper (to taste) and cover, cooking at a medium simmer for about 45 minutes or until the internal temperature of the roast is 160F.
  7. Use the leftover braising liquid and veg in the reduction of the LENTILS broth.
  8. Once cooked, allow the roast to rest, covered, for about 10 minutes before slicing.
  9. Rest slices on a bed of the lentils and serve.
Part 2 - the LENTILS

1 lb French du Puy lentils
3 carrots, sliced
1 large onion, small dice
3-4 oz mushrooms, sliced
5 oz bacon, cut into lardons
1/2  cup crème fraîche
1/2 cup red wine (instead of purée ou coulis de tomate)
2 cups chicken stock
1 bay leaf
Pinch of Herbe de Provence
Salt and pepper
  1. In a soup pot, cook the bacon and onion together until the onion is soft.
  2. Add the carrots and cook 5 minutes.
  3. Pour in the wine and cook down until reduced to almost nothing, then throw in the herbs and cook another minute.
  4. Add the stock and the lentils and bring to a boil before throwing in the mushrooms.
  5. Bring to a simmer and cook 30 minutes.
  6. Adjust seasoning with the salt and pepper, and continue cooking until the lentils are soft, another 15 minutes.
  7. Once the lentils are perfectly cooked, drain the excess liquid into a wide pan, add the liquid from the braised roast and, while the meat rests, (mix in the crème fraîche) and about 6 Tbsps of the cooked lentils and reduce the liquid by evaporation for about 15 minutes. (At the last, run the lentil broth through a strainer or use an immersion blender.)
  8. Pour this liquid back onto the lentils and serve hot, topped by the sliced pork.

No comments:

Post a Comment