There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, December 12, 2020

Beef Tongue au Gratin - Untested

From Monet's Kitchen by Claire Joyes, pg 141

Serves 8

1 beef tongue
2 carrots
3 onions
4 black peppercorns
1 bouquet garni
1 cup dry white wine
3 pickled cucumbers, sliced (what kind? Gherkin? Dill?)
3 chopped shallots
4 Tbsps chopped parsley
1 cup dry breadcrumbs
4 Tbsps butter, cut into pieces
  1. The day before, soak the tongue in cold water to cover. 
  2. The next day, blanch it in boiling water to cover for 30 minutes.
  3. Remove it, drain it and, when cool enough to handle, take out the bones, trim away the fat, then peel the tongue. 
  4. Put in a saucepan with cold water, the carrots, onions, peppercorns and the bouquet garni. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook at a bare simmer for 3 hours.
  5. Remove the tongue from the broth. Once it's cool, slice it thinly at a slight angle. 
  6. Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease a large, ovenproof dish. Arrange the slices of tongue on it and sprinkle with the wine. 
  7. Arrange the slices of pickled cucumber on top. 
  8. Sprinkle with the dry breadcrumbs and dot it with the butter. 
  9. Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment