There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, December 19, 2020

Foie de veau à la moissoneuse (Baked Calves' Liver) - Untested

From Monet's Kitchen by Claire Joyes, pg 143

4oz bacon, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
4 large onions, thinly sliced
10 medium potatoes
1 1/2 lbs calves' liver
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup broth
2 Tbsps butter
2 Tbsps chopped parsley
1 garlic clove, crushed
  1. In a large skillet, sauté the bacon in the oil. When the fat begins to melt, remove it with a skimmer and arrange it on a serving platter. Continue to heat the oil, and when it is slightly smoking, add the onion and potatoes. Sauté them on low heat, while you cut the liver into 1-inch squares. Season them with the salt and pepper.
  2. Remove the onions and potatoes from the skillet and arrange them on the platter with the bacon. Add the pieces of liver to the skillet, increase the heat and sauté quickly, turning frequently. Drain the liver and keep it warm, covered with a dish towel (not a lid, it would hold the steam inside).
  3. Discard the fat in the skillet and pour the wine into it. Deglaze the pan by scraping it to dislodge any bits that have stuck to the bottom and reduce the liquid by two-thirds over high heat. Add the broth and bring back to a boil. Combine the butter and flour into a smooth paste and break into pieces. Drop it into the sauce, stirring well after each addition. The sauce should be light. Add the onions, bacon and potatoes and the chopped parsley and garlic. Cover the skillet and simmer for about 20 minutes.
  4. Return the liver to the skillet and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, to reheat. Serve very hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment