There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, December 7, 2020

Épaule de mouton (ou de porc) farcie - Untested

From Monet's Kitchen by Claire Joyes, pg 140

Serves 6

4 Tbsps fresh breadcrumbs soaked in milk
1 slice bacon cut into lardons
2 Tbsps parsley, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

3lb boned shoulder of lamb or mutton or pork
1/2+1/2 tsp salt
1/2+1/2 tsp pepper
4 Tbsps fat (oil or lard or butter)
8 medium onions (about 3lbs), thinly sliced
3/4 cup small beans
4 potatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs), thickly sliced
  1. Soak the breadcrumbs in milk until soft. Squeeze them dry.
  2. In a medium bowl combine the stuffing ingredients: the breadcrumbs, chopped bacon, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper until uniform. Set aside.
  3. Lay the deboned shoulder flat on a cutting board. Season with the first half of the salt and pepper, then spread the stuffing over it.
  4. Roll up the meat and, using cotton butcher's twine or a strip of cheesecloth tie it firmly.
  5. Melt the fat in a large pot with a lid, and brown the meat on all sides.
  6. Add the onions, beans and potatoes. Season with the remaining salt and pepper. Add hot water to cover.
  7. Pre-heat the oven to 350F. On the stovetop, put the lid on and bring to a boil.
  8. Transfer to the hot oven and continue cooking for 2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment