There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, December 4, 2020

Classic Holiday Snickerdoodle - PUBLISHED

Snickerdoodles appear to be much like peanut butter cookies in that there appears to be near universal agreement on the recipe - I did find a few dissenters, but got the impression they were just trying to be different. So I have to try out the classic recipe and see if I am a dissenter or not. In fact, I won't be the one to decide, since I am primarily making these for Ben as his contribution to our list of 'traditional' Holiday desserts. Funny thing is, they all ask for cream of tartar and baking soda in spite of the fact that baking powder is basically cream of tartar and baking soda. Granted, modern baking powder sometimes also includes corn starch. I suspect that, at some point, I will want to compare a recipe made with the cream of tartar and baking soda combination side-by-side with one made just with baking powder to assess the difference.
1 - Ok, wow. Light, flavorful, maybe a tetch sweeter than I like but not overly sweet. I changed the recipe to only coat one side of the cookie. My expert taster said they were too cinnamon-sweet, so I dialed it back and I think he was right. He also said they were the best snickerdoodles he's ever had (which was the right thing to say, whether or not he was 100% sincere, which he asserts he is). NOTE - I froze some and discovered that their texture changes and makes them a little grainy.
2 - Ben made some and left them in the oven for longer. It made for crunchy edges and a soft middle when fresh, and still made for soft cookies when cooled. 
3 - I've included info on how to place the oven rack. Very good addition.

Cookie
1 cup (8oz/225gr) butter at room temperature
1½ cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsps. vanilla
2¾ cup flour
1½ tsps. cream of Tartar
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
Cinnamon-Sugar Topping
¼ cup sugar (2 Tbsps.)
1½ Tbsps. cinnamon (3½ tsps.)
  1. Place oven rack in the top ⅓ of the oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar for 4 to 5 minutes until light and fluffy.  Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the eggs and vanilla. Cream for 1 to 2 minutes longer. 
  3. Stir in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt, just until combined. 
  4. In a small bowl, stir together sugar and cinnamon. 
  5. If time allows, wrap the dough and let refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes.  
  6. Roll into small balls (½ oz to 1 oz) until round and smooth. 
  7. Drop into the cinnamon-sugar mixture and roll to cover either half or the whole ball of dough. 
  8. Place on the parchment paper lined baking sheet, cinnamon sugar-coated face up, and gently flatten to a thick 1¼" disc. 
  9. Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges just start to brown.  Let cool for several minutes on the baking sheet before removing from the pan. 
NOTE: Do not freeze, or freezing is not recommended - it changes the texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment