There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Escalopes Foyot - Testing

 From Monet's Table by Claire Joyes, pg 141

1 - I'm tempted to list this as a 'fail'. It was not an enjoyable meal. Bland and soggy. Having made it once, these are the changes I would try in a subsequent attempt: toast the breadcrumbs in butter first; mix together the breadcrumbs and the cheese before putting them on the chops; cook the onions until just starting to brown and deglaze with the wine to reduce it. At least. Herbs would be nice as well. I also wonder about boning the chops and removing the excess fat. Neither of us have a particular liking for loin cuts, so it may just be that I leave this one altogether.

Serves 4

1/4 + 1/4 cup butter
8 onions, thinly sliced (about 800g)
4 pork chops, about 3 lbs
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Gruyère or Parmesan cheese (about 45g)
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 lemon wedges
  1. Melt first 1/4 cup of butter in a skillet and sauté the onions until softened but not browned.
  2. Preheat the oven to 325F.
  3. Place the pork chops in a shallow, greased ovenproof dish.
  4. Pile the onions on top, then sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and grated cheese.
  5. Pour the white wine into the bottom of the dish.
  6. Cut the rest of the butter into pieces and dot over the mixture.
  7. Season with salt and pepper.
  8. Bake the pork chops for 45 minutes or until the tops are golden and the internal temperature reaches 145°F. All to settle 10 minutes before serving.
  9. Serve garnished with lemon wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment