There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Macaroné du Poitou - Testing


1 - I opted to use weights instead of cups. I will want to also provide cup measurements. But this turned out quite nicely. I just spread it in a rough circle with a butter knife to cook it as a large cookie. It is moist and flavorful. I took the midpoint in terms of sugar, and it isn't overly sweet, but I suspect I can reduce the sugar by even more and it would still work. This is why I'm keeping this recipe in the testing phase. Otherwise, everything worked beautifully. 
2 - I tried reducing the amount of sugar again to 50gr and I now know that 100gr is just right.
3 - I tried piping and, while it made a pretty design, it seemed to deflate the egg whites. I think this is inconclusive since I mixed different almond flours.

250gr (2 1/2 cups) almond flour
150gr 100gr (? cups) sugar 
4 egg whites
Pinch of salt
Optional: 4 drops bitter almond extract
  1. Set oven temperature to 350F.
  2. Line a cookie sheet or a pie dish with parchment paper.
  3. Combine the almond flour and the sugar and set aside.
  4. Whisk the egg whites and the salt until stiff peaks form. (If using the extract, add at the end)
  5. Delicately incorporate the dry mix to the egg whites - the goal here is to avoid bursting the air bubbles in the egg whites, so do this as gently, slowly and with as few strokes as possible. Because the almond flour is heavy, despite your best efforts it will likely look like recycled cement when you're done. Don't worry.
  6. Here you have options in how to put the batter onto the parchment paper. You can smooth it in one large disc with a spatula or a butter knife, or; put it through a piping bag with a large orifice and create a wheel, or; wither format but as several smaller wheels or discs.
  7. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes (image in the first link shows how it should brown.)
  8. Allow it to cool completely before handling it.
NOTE - This is essentially a recipe for a Dacquoise. A Dacquoise is usually baked as a sheet to cut out shapes from or to build entremets cakes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment