There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Queue de boeuf en hochepot (Marguéry) (Oxtail Stew) - Untested

From Monet's Kitchen by Claire Joyes, pg 142

Serves 6

8oz pork rind
2 sprigs thyme
1 bay leaf
3lbs oxtail, cut into 6 portions
3 cups beef broth
1 cup dry white wine
2 1/2lbs chestnuts
2 + 2 Tbsps butter
12 pearl onions
1 Tbsp confectioner's sugar
5 cups button mushrooms
6 small frankfurter sausages
  1. Arrange the pork rind, thyme and bay leaf in a deep pot. Lay the oxtail on top. Cook over medium heat, uncovered, for 15 minutes. 
  2. Moisten with 1 cup beef broth and continue to cook until the liquid forms a glaze. 
  3. Add the rest of the broth and the white wine. Cover the pot and cook over low heat for about 3 hours.
  4. Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to boil. Cut crosses in the chestnut skins, then boil them in water to cover for 40 minutes. Peel, removing the inner and outer skins. 
  5. While the chestnuts are stewing, melt half the butter and sauté the onions.
  6. When they are transparent add the confectioner's sugar and keep stirring until they are glazed. 
  7. In another saucepan, melt the rest of the butter and cook the mushrooms until the juices run. 
  8. Transfer the oxtail to a deep skillet. Degrease the cooking liquid and strain it. Add the onions, mushroms, sausages, and chestnuts. Cook for 15 minutes and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment