There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, December 28, 2020

Coleslaw with vinaigrette - Test 3

 https://www.easypeasyfoodie.com/easy-no-mayo-coleslaw-dairy-free-egg-free-vegan/

1 - I was in a situation where making things with dairy and eggs was difficult to refrigerate, so I made this, and it was lovely, what with the tang of the Dijon and the gentle wilting when it sits in the refrigerator for a bit.
2 - I made this again, with apple cider vinegar as the one of choice, and I didn't like it. The apple cider vinegar made it taste like it had gone off! I'll try with the other options and make a single choice.)
3 - Made it with white wine vinegar. Lovely. I didn't have scallions or chives and just did without, and I still quite enjoyed it.
4 - I made it again with white wine vinegar and, I thought, the same quantity of vegetable matter, but the vinaigrette seemed thin, as if there wasn't enough. I will taste it again today in case my taster was off last night.
5 - I reduced the amount of veg but maintained the same quantity of vinaigrette. There may be a little bit too much vinaigrette but it was good. It may be to reduce the vinaigrette by maybe a quarter.
6 - Made it again with this ratio and it really is a very nice recipe.
7 - Yup I think this is the way I like it.

2 1 lbs cabbage (recommended is ½ green cabbage and ½ red cabbage), finely sliced
4 2 large carrots (6oz/170g) (roughly 400g/14oz) grated
4 2 scallions, finely sliced
¼ cup Tbsps vinegar ( apple cider, white wine vinegar, or lemon juice)
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp salt 
1 tsp pepper
½ cup good olive oil
  1. Prepare all the vegetables and mix in a large bowl.
  2. Put the remaining ingredients in a small jar, screw on the lid tightly and shake until emulsified, just a few seconds.
  3. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and mix together thoroughly.

No comments:

Post a Comment