There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, December 7, 2020

Candied Lemon Peel - Test 1


1 - This worked very well. I ended up leaving the candied peels out to dry longer than intended, which seems to have allow them to dry out a bit more and means I didn't have to roll them in extra sugar.

4 organic lemons
3 + 1/4 cups sugar, divided
4 cups water
  1. Slice the lemons into four quarters lengthwise.
  2. Peel the lemon flesh away from the peels. Reserve for another use.
  3. Use a small, sharp-edged spoon to scrape the tough fibrous parts off of the inner peel, leaving a thin layer of white left behind on the peel.
  4. Slice the peels into thin strips.
  5. Alternatively, for thinner and daintier decorative peels, you can use a serrated peeler to scrape yellow strips from the exterior of the lemon peel. Cut those peels into thin slices.
  6. To remove any bitterness from the pith, place the peels into a saucepan and cover with water. Bring the water to a rolling boil and drain. Repeat this process up to three times, keeping in mind that every time you do more flavor will boil away. 
  7. In a saucepan combine the 4 cups of water with 3 cups of sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
  8. Add peels to the saucepan and bring to a rolling boil.
  9. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for 60-90 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Different sized peels will take different amounts of time to cook. The peels are ready when they're transparent and easy to bite through. Cook well as undercooked peels will have a bitter flavor.
  10. When cooked, save the liquid - it's lemon simple syrup! Drain the peels.
  11. On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper spread the peels in an even layer and let them cool for about 15 minutes or until just tacky to the touch.
  12. OPTION 1: Dredge the cooled strip in 1/4 cup of sugar until well coated. Sugar coating the peels will add sweetness and help to keep them from sticking together.
  13. OPTION 2: For a gel-like texture, the peels dry without the sugar coating - it will make for a deeper yellow color as well.
  14. Let the peels dry on the parchment paper from 2-3 hours to 2-3 days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment