There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Cassoulet de Guitry (Lucien Guitry's Lamb Stew) - Untested

From Monet's Kitchen by Claire Joyes, pg 140

Serves 8

2 cups dried white beans
2 lbs boneless shoulder or leg of lamb, cubed for stewing
1 lb smoke goose breast
4oz pork fat, or blanched salt pork
1 Tbsp flour
4 cups chicken or beef broth
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 bouquet garni
1 garlic clove, minced
2 Tbsps tomato paste
1lb garlic-flavored sausage
4 Tbsps parsley, chopped
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
  1. Soak the beans overnight in water to cover, then drain next day. Pour in fresh water and bring to a boil. Simmer while preparing the meat (minimum 10 minutes).
  2. Meanwhile, sauté the meat and pork fat in an oven-ready pot until well browned, turning frequently.
  3. Sprinkle the meats with flour, stir until the flour starts to turn blond, and pour in the broth.
  4. Season with salt and pepper, add the bouquet garni, garlic, and tomato paste.
  5. Drain the beans (they don't have to be cooked) and add to the stew.
  6. Bring the stew to a boil then decrease to a simmer.
  7. Bring a pot of water to boil  and poach the sausage for 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Cut into 2-inch pieces and add to the stew.
  8. Simmer for 2 hours.
  9. Preheat the oven to 400F. 
  10. Sprinkle the stew with the parsley and breadcrumbs and bake in the oven, lid removed, for 30 minutes or until well browned on top. Serve in the baking pot if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment