There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, December 27, 2020

Le flan pâtissier (Parisian Flan) - Untested

NOTE: dry ingredients for this recipe are measured by weight, à la française.

1 Cookie pie crust
3-4 eggs
1L of milk (or 750ml milk and 250ml heavy cream)
150g of sugar 
90g of arrowroot powder or cornstarch (maïzena)
1-2 Tbsps vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean, split
  1. Roll out the crust and set in a spring form pan. Pop in the refrigerator to cool while you make the custard filling.
  2. Bring the milk to just before the boiling point and remove from the heat.
  3. If using the vanilla bean, immediately add, cover, and let steep for 10 minutes.
  4. If using the extract, add, stir, cover and set aside.
  5. Preheat the oven to 400F.
  6. Meanwhile, combine the arrowroot and sugar. Whisk in the eggs and beat thoroughly, until completely smooth.
  7. Remove the vanilla bean from the milk (if using).
  8. While whisking the sweet eggs constantly, slowly stream in the hot vanilla milk.
  9. Pour the mixture into the milk saucepan and, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, cook over medium-low heat until the surface starts to show signs of wanting to boil, stirring all the while; by this point the hot custard should coat the back of the spoon.
  10. For this step you can use a sieve to help break up any lumping, but if you've diligently stirred and it's smooth, just directly pour into the cold shell and pop in the oven.
  11. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the crust is golden and the top shows brown spots.
  12. Allow to cool completely before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment