There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, December 18, 2020

Boeuf berrichon (Pickled Beef) - Untested

 From Monet's Kitchen by Claire Joyes, pg 142
Compare brining and cooking instructions with : 

Serves 8 people

4 slices bacon en lardons
2 Tbsps white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp white wine
1 garlic clove
2 shallots, each stuck with 1 clove
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
4 Tbsps butter
3 cups broth or water
Optional : 3 carrots
  1. Lard the beef with the strips of bacon. Place it in a deep earthenware pot with the vinegar, white wine, garlic and shallots. Season with the salt and pepper and cover it lightly with a pieces of cheesecloth. Marinate for two days in the refrigerator, turning the meat twice a day.
  2. Strain the marinade and reserve it. 
  3. Melt the butter in a deep pot and sauté the beef on both sides. 
  4. When it is nicely browned, moisten it with about 1 cup of broth or water and 1 Tbsp of marinade. 
  5. Cover the pot and simmer over low heat for 6 hours (would a slow cooker work?), adding more broth or water and more marinade from time to time. 
  6. If using, the carrots should be added 1 hour before the end of the cooking time.

No comments:

Post a Comment