There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, December 5, 2020

P'tit caribou - Test 1

1 - From the land of my ancestors, a holiday drink. P'tit caribou is a Carnaval drink from Québec, but in Lafontaine, Ontario, I know it primarily as our French Canadian hooch. I found a bunch of versions and asked Ben, our household mixologist, to Frankenstein it for us. It was really good! and deceptively high octane. And served hot is perfect for the Holiday season(s). I felt like there was too much cinnamon, so hopefully next time, if we're using our homemade cinnamon blackberry liqueur, I will find it more balanced.
2 - Yup, with only the cinnamon blackberry liqueur, it was verging on perfection.

2 Tbsps brandy
2 Tbsps vodka
Optional : 2 Tbsps cinnamon blackberry liqueur or Crème de Cassis
1/3 cup port
1/3 cup sherry
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp ground cloves
1 cinnamon stick (omit if using the cinnamon blackberry liqueur?)
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 star anise
  1. Put everything in a small pot and gently heat. Serve immediately in cups or allow to cool and serve in shot glasses.

2 Tbsps brandy
2 Tbsps vodka
1/3 cup port
1/3 cup sherry
  1. Put everything in a small pot and gently heat. Serve immediately in cups or allow to cool and serve in shot glasses.

750mL red wine (Pinot Noir)
3 Tbsps rum or whisky or vodka or brandy
3 Tbsps maple syrup
1 tsp ground cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 star anise
  1. Mix everything together and gently simmer for 5-10 minutes.
  2. Serve with ice cubes.

1 1/2 oz of Vodka
3 oz of port
1/4 oz of creme de cassis (or blackcurrant-flavored liqueur)
1 splash of Maple Syrup
  1. Stir all ingredients together and serve in a chilled red wine glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment