There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, December 6, 2020

Pâté au boeuf - Testing

from Monet's Table, p 137

1 - This was very tasty. For some reason, most recipes out of this book are somehow wrong. The book version asks for 4oz of ground beef. while preparing the mix, it was obvious that wasn't right, so I immediately increased it to 1lb and that was the right thing to do. 
Ben suggested this would make really good filling for pasties. It's flavorful enough that I can imagine it would be quite nice.
2 - This time the feedback was a little contradictory. Ben said he liked the filling when it had pastry, and not so much when it was all alone. I suppose this reinforces his previous recommendation of making pasties with it. Oh, I just realized I forgot the tarragon! Woops!

1lb ground beef
1 onion
1 garlic clove
5 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped (I'm using diced, canned tomatoes, half can)
1/2 cup parsley
1/2 cup fresh tarragon (I'm using dry, so 2 Tbsps)
2 oz bacon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 Tbsps butter
2 pie crust recipes
1 egg yolk
  1. Mix together all the ingredients and run through a meat grinder.
  2. Melt 2 Tbsps of the butter in a skillet and sauté, stirring frequently and making sure the mixture remains moist.
  3. Once cooked, pour into a bowl and allow to cool back to room temperature.
  4. Make the pie dough. Roll out and cover the bottom of a pie dish. Brush the base with the egg yolk. Fill with the cooled beef filling.
  5. Roll out the rest of the dough to form a lid. Before putting it on the base, cut out a hole in the middle.
  6. Preheat the oven to 425F and bake for 15 minutes, then reduce to 350F and bake for 1 hour or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment