There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, December 21, 2020

Chocolat Chaud - Testing

 I'd been looking for a recipe that looked as thick and rich as the hot chocolate Juliette Binoche serves Dame Judy Dench in the film Chocolat, and never found it, so I made up my own. Ben calls it my melted chocolate bar drink because I like it so thick! You can add more cream if you like. 😉
1 - I've made this at Valley Home but not since, and I didn't write down the quantities I used, but I have the gist of it written down here.
2 - This is apparently too decadent for most. I'm crossing it out and replacing it with a Parisian hot chocolate from David Lebowitz to try out. https://www.davidlebovitz.com/parisian-hot-ch-1/?fbclid=IwAR3lr5thKWBFIs3m9CUQiUCuuBdnzstzoPyZD7a2Fu5HHpy7zu6iryD1I3Y

Per serving

1/2 cup heavy cream
? oz 70% dark chocolate
? Tbsp (for chocolate past, I should weigh and measure out 30% sugar?)
Cinnamon, ground
Cayenne pepper
Clove, ground
  1. Gently heat in a bain marie just until it barely achieves a boil.
  2. In a small bowl combine the sugar along with a dash of cinnamon, a sprinkle of cayenne, and a mere soupçon of clove.
  3. Add the chocolate and the sugar blend to the cream and stir until the chocolate melts; keep warm in the bain marie if you make more than one cup. Enjoy
2 cups (500ml) whole milk
5 ounces (130g) bittersweet chocolate, (best-quality), finely chopped
optional: 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
(think of adding some of the spices from above)
  1. Heat the milk in a medium-sized saucepan.
  2. Once the milk is warm, remove from heat and whisk in the chocolate, stirring until the chocolate is melted. For a thick hot chocolate, return to heat and cook at a very low boil for about 2-3 minutes, whisking constantly. Be careful and keep an eye on the mixture, as it may boil up a bit during the first moments.
  3. Taste, and add brown sugar if desired.
  4. Serve warm in demitasse cups, or small coffee or tea cups.

Note: This hot chocolate improves if made ahead and allowed to sit for a few hours. Rewarm before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment