There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, September 28, 2024

Creamed Greens - Testing

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-cream-any-green-1847851163

10oz-1lb greens, washed and de-stemmed (10oz for tough leaves like Kale, 1lb for tender leaves like spinach)
1/2 tsp salt
4 Tbsps. salted butter
A big spoonful of flour (about a tablespoon—you won’t use it all)
3/4 cup heavy cream
Fresh nutmeg
  1. Add the salt to about 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add the greens, and cook until they are tender. For spinach, this will take 30 seconds; for kale, this will take a few minutes.
  2. Drain the greens and rinse them with cold water, then dry them in salad spinner (or roll them up in clean kitchen towel and gently press the moisture out). Add a tablespoon of flour to a small sieve and set it near the stove. Set the greens aside, add the butter to a large sauté pan, and heat over medium heat. Let it foam and sputter, until it darkens to a deep golden brown, then turn the heat to low, add the greens to the butter and toss to coat, then dust the flour over the greens. Toss one more time, add the cream, and stir until thick. Finish with freshly grated nutmeg, and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment