There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, September 19, 2024

Mijoté d'haricots blanc - Untested

http://www.whitskitchen.com/2015/09/22/perfect-for-early-fall-french-pork-white-bean-stew/

0 - I reduced the amount of pork in favor for an increase in cooked beans. I also transformed the recipe from a slowly braised dish to a slow cooker dish using the Slow Cooked Leg of Pork recipe I've been working on so I could start with dry beans instead of cooked. I am very interested in the flavoring for this recipe. I hope these significant changes work.

Serves 4
Cooking time: 6 hours

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 to 2lbs pork shoulder, cut into 1.5″ cubes
salt & pepper
1 large onion, diced
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup flour
1 generous tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 cup dry white wine
2 bay leaves
1 small fennel bulb, cut into 1″ pieces (try fronds instead?)
3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1″ pieces
4 cups chicken broth
1lb dry white beans, such as cannellini
1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp Dijon mustard
  1. Boil the beans for 10 minutes, drain and dump in the slow cooker.
  2. In a Dutch oven, heat the oil at medium heat. 
  3. Meanwhile season the pork with salt & pepper.
  4. When the oil is shimmering, add to the pan in 2 batches, browning thoroughly on all sides (about 5-6 minutes for each batch). As the meat is browned, set aside. 
  5. In the same pan, sauté the onion until just translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. 
  6. Add the flour, thyme, marjoram and rosemary, and cook 2 minutes more to cook the starch flavor out of the flour. 
  7. Whisk in the white wine, add the bay leaves, deglaze the pan, then remove from heat. 
  8. To the slow cooker combine the meat, fennel, carrots, and broth, and return the meat and any accumulated juices to the pot. 
  9. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 6 to 8 hours, or until pork is tender and beans are cooked through. 
  10. Transfer to a saucepan, add almost all the parsley (leave enough for garnish), then the lemon juice and mustard and stir until well blended. 
  11. Simmer until sauce the sauce is slightly reduced, about 10 minutes. Taste and season with salt & pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment