There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, September 19, 2024

Creamy White Bean Stew - Testing


1 - 6 lbs of beans seemed like a bit much so I reduced it to 4, which seemed to be the right ratio of meat to bean. The stew was surprisingly flavorful. I gave it a good pinch of pepper flakes to substitute for the jalapeno and I felt like it was a touch too much, so I'll try to standardize to ¼ tsp, to start. The green pepper was a surprisingly necessary element. I often feel like peppers in some meals are just fluff, but in this instance at least it added a really interesting dimension to the flavor. The meat, however, should be 1/2" instead of 1", to help distribute the morsels more throughout the stew. Surprisingly, 1 tsp of salt was enough to flavor the whole thing, which surprised me (again) because beans tend to mute that taste. Oh, and the crisp lardons is more than just a garnish, it adds a really nice variation to the textures and tastes. I'm keeping it at the Testing stage mainly to try to get the heat right. Also because I used a home made chicken stock made from the carcass of a Butter Roasted Chicken stuffed mainly with thyme, which may also have been a contributor to the good flavor.

Cooking time: 2:30hrs

6x15.5oz cans navy 3lbs cannellini beans, rinsed well an drained (reserve 8oz)
5oz/141g bacon cut into lardons, for fat and garnish
1 to 2 pounds pork steak, or pork roast, cut into ½ inch cubes
2 Tbsps. oil or butter
1 diced bell pepper
1 diced onion
1 diced jalapeno or 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 diced carrots
5 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth or stock (home made preferred? See note 1)
½ cup white wine 
1 tsp salt and pepper, to taste
Parsley
  1. In a large pot, fry the lardons over medium heat. When crispy, set aside
  2. Salt and pepper the pork cubes, then brown in the bacon grease in batches. Set aside.
  3. In the same pot, add the pepper, jalapeno, onion and carrots. Add some oil or butter if the pot looks too dry.  
  4. Cook until the veg starts to soften.  Add the garlic, cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.  
  5. Deglaze the pan with the wine, scraping up any browned bits off the bottom.  
  6. Add the broth, beans and browned pork, stirring to combine.  Simmer for 45 minutes with the lid on, stirring occasionally.
  7. Adjust the seasoning.  Grind the remaining beans with a fork or your hands before adding to the pot. Stir to incorporate.  
  8. Simmer for another hour with the lid on, stirring occasionally.  Check the pork for tenderness and return to a simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.  Top with the lardons and parsley to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment