There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, September 20, 2024

Tartignole aux pommes (apple pancake) - Test 2

https://philandcocuisine.canalblog.com/archives/2021/11/04/39205752.html

1 - I've translated this and reduced the sugar by a lot! It was very good, and didn't really need more sweet, but just little maple syrup adds a nice flavor.
2 - This is still in the "fucking it up" stage. Undocumented from my first attempt is that the recipe instructs to move the apple about as it's browning. When I did that, the apple had not started to brown but was starting to fall apart, so I mixed it into the batter, then cooked it. It came out very good. Then I realized that the recipe instructs to leave the apples in the pan and pour the batter over it. Ok. I wanted to try that because I wanted to get the caramelizing of the apple with the sugar. In this second attempt, I started with adding a bit more water because the amount given seemed to make a batter that was too think. The next change was, instead of moving the apple so much, I left it in the pan at medium heat to cook in the hot butter and sugar for 2 minutes before flipping. I didn't touch it for 2 minutes. That looked like it worked, the apple was just starting to brown, but not crust. So I did the same after turning the apple, another two minutes, before adding the batter, and I left the temperature on at medium and put it on to cook for 5 minutes. At 4 minutes it was starting to smell burnt, so I tried to flip the pancake onto my buttered plate, and when I removed the pan it all went 'glorp' with the bottom having burnt. Grrr. I rebuttered the pan and put the flipped pancake, reassembled as best I could, back into the pan. It cooked ok, I cooked it for another couple minutes, but it seemed a little underdone. Argh! The flavor however was again very good.
Next time, I will brown the apple for 2 minutes, then instead of another 2 minutes, I will flip the apple and then pour the batter on top, right away. I will also reduce the temperature to low (on my stove) and put a lid on the pan. I hope this will translate into a pancake that is more cooked before flipping, and that the apple on the bottom will brown and crust nicely. Actually, I'd just settle with browning. And no extra water in the batter!
3 - Wow, all the above cogitating was useful. I made it, and it was fantastic! I went on the conservative side in terms of timing for the first flip and I would like to leave it for the extra minute to see if it would brown even more, but otherwise, this was incredibly enjoyable. I'm so chuffed!!!
Ben was suggesting, I think more for presentation, a drizzle of chocolate, I thought also of yogurt, and maybe try to thin some apple butter into a drizzle, given that the apple butter would be apple but different.
I'm putting this as Test 1 because if my proposed variation doesn't work, this particular version was great! I hesitate to qualify it as 'perfect' because such a thing is not of this world...

Pour cette recette, pour 4 personnes, il vous faudra :

150g flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 pinch salt
2 eggs
2/3 cup water
2 lrg apples, peeled and sliced thick (300 to 500 g)
150 40 g BROWN sugar
1 Tbsp calvados, brandy or 1/4 tsp cinnamon or Poudre Douce
40 g butter + 10 g
15g white sugar
Maple syrup to serve
Optional - Yogurt drizzle, chocolate drizzle, maybe apple butter drizzle?
  1. Mix together the flour, baking powder, water, and salt. Stir the batter very well. Let it rest while preparing the apples.
  2. Put the prepared apples in a bowl and mix together with the sugar and flavoring (liquor or spice), to coat.
  3. Melt the 40g of butter at medium-high heat. When the butter begins to froth, reduce the temperature to Medium, add the apple mixture, spread evenly across the pan and let it cook for 2 minutes. 
  4. Flip the apples to cook the second side. As soon as you've flipped all the pieces, pour the batter over the apple and cook on Low for 5-6 minutes or until the top is almost set. Put a lid on top to make this happen faster.
  5. As the first side is cooking and the top is just starting to set, sprinkle the 15g of sugar on top.
  6. Meanwhile, grease a dinner plate with the 10g of butter for the next step, reserving any leftover butter to add to the pan for the flip (next step).
  7. When the bottom of the pancake is brown, make sure it's loose from the pan, perhaps by running a spatula underneath it. Upturn the plate on top of the pancake, hold firm with your hand, grab the handle of the pan and flip the pancake onto the plate. Remove the pan. The pancake should just drop onto the plate
  8. Set the pan back on the stove-top, add the remaining butter to melt in the pan and slide the pancake back in to finish. Cook the second side for about 3 to 4 minutes to get another nice brown crust. 

No comments:

Post a Comment