There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, September 28, 2024

Mullangi Keerai Kootu (radish greens dal) - Testing


1 - I made this with the recommended moong dal and the result was not satisfying. The spicing was bland, as well. So I'm replacing the moong dal with split peas, and I've doubled the spicing

3 cups (8oz) chopped radish leaves
1/2 cup moong dal Yellow Split Peas
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 Tbsps. oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
1 large onion (10oz/285gr), finely chopped
1 medium tomato (6-7oz)
2 green chillies, cut in half and seeded, or a good pinch of red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp. fine grated ginger
Salt to taste
  1. Wash moong dal. Pressure cook the dal with 1 1/2 cups water along with salt and turmeric powder for 2-3 whistles.
  2. Soak the peas for at least 2 hours before boiling.
  3. Bring them to a boil in 1 1/2 cups water with the salt and turmeric then simmer for 30 to 50 minutes, until the peas are fully cooked and tender (don't rush this step, the longer and softer the better).
  4. Once the pressure gets released, mash the cooked dal slightly.
  5. Meanwhile, finely chop onions and tomatoes. Slit the green chillies lengthwise.
  6. Pour the oil in a large saucepan and add mustard and cumin seeds. 
  7. Turn on the heat under the pot. When the mustard seeds start to pop (this is unmistakable), add the onions, ginger and chillies.
  8. Sauté till onions turn light brown in colour. You may have to add a splash of water to loosen anything stuck to the bottom of the pan.
  9. Then, add in the chopped tomatoes and fry for a minute.
  10. Add the chopped radish leaves and salt.
  11. Cover with a lid and cook on medium low flame for 2 minutes.
  12. Now add the cooked peas along with 1/2 cup water if it looks too dry.
  13. Let the peas cook on a medium low flame for 4-5 minute or until the liquid thickens and reaches the desired consistency. Remove from heat and serve.
Radish greens dal is ready to be served hot with rice or rotis.

No comments:

Post a Comment